Defunding Planned Parenthood will leave millions of preborn women with the ability to access life and prenatal care when they someday become pregnant. Why is that a bad thing?
- During fiscal year 2013-2014, Planned Parenthood received more than $528 million in taxpayer funding, or more than $1.4 million per day in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements.
- Taxpayer funding accounts for 41% of Planned Parenthood’s overall revenue.
- In 2013, Planned Parenthood performed 327,653 abortions, an increase over 2012.
- Over the past three reported years (2011-2013), Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (988,783).
- In 2013, abortions made up 94% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care accounted for only 5% (18,684) and adoption referrals for only 0.5% (1,880).
- For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 174 abortions.
- While abortions rose, adoption referrals by Planned Parenthood dropped 14% in one year, and prenatal care services dropped 4%.
- Planned Parenthood’s cancer prevention services are down 17% over one year, and contraceptive services dropped by 4%.
- Planned Parenthood reported more than $127 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.4 billion in net assets.
Source: Planned Parenthood 2013-2014 Annual Report.