Isn’t this amazing.
This is an unborn baby at 6 weeks:
Doesn’t look like much though. But you know what’s happening?
- The baby is about a ¼ inch (6mm) long.
- Major organs, including the kidneys and liver, have begun to develop,
- The neural tube, which connects the brain and spinal cord closes.
- The brain develops into five areas and some cranial nerves are visible.
- The arm and leg buds are visible.
And at 7 weeks:
- The baby’s hands and feet are shaped like paddles, but the fingers are beginning to take shape.
- The embryonic tail has now almost disappeared.
- The pituitary gland is also forming
- The baby is beginning to grow muscle fibers.
- The heart has divided into the right and left chambers and is beating about 150 beats a minute which is about twice the rate of an adult.
- The baby’s facial features are visible, including a mouth and tongue.
- The baby’s eyes have a retina and lens.
- The major muscle system is developed, and the baby starts to practice moving.
- The baby has its own blood type and the blood cells are produced by the liver.
- Vocal chords are complete
- The baby can and does sometimes cry silently.
- The brain is fully formed, and the baby can also feel pain.
- The baby may even suck his thumb.
- The eyelids now cover the eyes, and will remain shut until the seventh month to protect the delicate optical nerve fibers.
- The hair is on the head and the fingers and toes have developed soft nails.
- The kidneys are developed and begin to secrete urine.
I don’t know about you guys, but I find this amazing. That all this happens in 12 weeks.
Be a voice for the voiceless by subscribing to our weekly digest and sharing the truth with the world.