1) “I’m sorry to say I couldn’t think about raising a child with Down’s. I’m something of a perfectionist.”
2) “If he can’t grow up to have a shot at becoming the president, we don’t want him.”
3) “It’s devastating, it’s a waste, all the love that goes into kids like that.”
4) “I just couldn’t do it, couldn’t be that kind of mother who accepts everything, loves her kid no matter what.”
5) “The bottom line is when my neighbor said to me: ‘Having a “tard,” that’s a bummer for life.’”
These are ACTUAL RESPONSES from parents who sought prenatal screening to determine if their child had Down Syndrome. The parents all intended to abort their baby if he/she were diagnosed with DS, and these were some of the reasons they gave for their decision.
THIS is the elitist, discriminatory, ugly side of our culture—a culture that has grown to value our own “health” and “happiness” over the life of another who we deem lesser. How can any society profess diversity, acceptance, and tolerance if it is utterly intolerant of the sick or the handicapped among them?
Killing the mentally handicapped (who are statistically proven to live happy, fulfilling lives) before they are born is not kindness—it’s the darkest form of selfishness.
Those aren’t all the quotes. Read the rest here: http://bit.ly/1p5UVPp
How we treat the least of us defines us.
Be a voice for the voiceless by subscribing to our weekly digest and sharing the truth with the world.